No matter what your level of interest or dedication to skincare is, you have probably heard of a Korean skincare routine. It has become synonymous with beautiful, glowing skin. If you buy Korean skincare and start to follow the right routine, you can achieve the desired outcome of glowing skin. Skincare lovers from Korea and abroad swear by Korean skincare products, which are made with the highest quality of ingredients.
The 10 step skincare routine is one of its defining features in Korea. This may seem intimidating and time-consuming for beginners. Especially to those with little to no experience in skincare routines. It definitely takes dedication, but it’s really not as difficult as it may seem. Each step serves a very important purpose.
The act of skincare is one of the best forms of self-love. Think of your skincare routine as some extra ‘you’ time where you can give your skin the TLC it deserves. Are you ready to try a Korean skincare routine?
First, you will probably want to know exactly what a Korean skincare routine is and why it’s so effective. You know those 3-in-1 ‘miracle products’ you always see at drug stores? Well, Korean skincare routines are basically the opposite of those. They are mostly about using individual products that work to target any skin issue you may have, as well as providing essential and preventative care. Products are strategically layered to provide your skin with everything it needs in the most efficient manner.
Here are the main steps:
- Oil cleanser
- Water-based cleanser
- Sheet mask
- Eye cream
Simply reading that list might make you feel overwhelmed, but please don’t back away. It is not necessary to start from scratch with all 10 steps. You can gradually work your way up as you identify your skin’s needs. Plus, your nighttime routine will differ from your morning routine. Find out where to start by learning about the reasoning behind each step.
- Start with an oil cleanser to remove any makeup or other products such as sunscreen and sebum. This is one of the best ways to remove makeup and sunscreen effectively. These cleansers are gentler on the skin compared to the usual makeup removers or wipes. You can skip this step in the morning and simply wash your face with water, but remember that your skin is not immune to attracting dirt and impurities overnight.
- The double cleanse is a key element of the Korean skincare routine. A water-based cleanser will pick up anything that your oil cleanser missed, like sweat or dirt. This is a step that is necessary to repeat in the morning and at night. We recommend using the Hydramemory Deep Cleansing Foam for skin that feels clean and soft.
- Exfoliating is also a crucial step to keep your skin looking bright and prevent clogged pores. An exfoliator cleans pores and removes dead skin cells, leaving you with bright and smooth skin. Clean pores minimize the risk of breakouts and maximize the absorption of your other products. You do not need to exfoliate daily. In fact, you shouldn’t. Once or twice a week is all it takes to keep your skin glowing.
- Now that your skin is squeaky clean, it’s time for some toner! Toning the skin balances the skin’s moisture and pH levels, effectively prepping your skin for the nourishing products to come. Our Advanced Facial Treatment Toner repairs the barrier of the skin and creates the perfect base layer for moisturizers, which means it should be used morning and night.
- Essence can be used as a treatment step for dull skin and an anti-aging booster. It boosts cell turnover and hydrates, leaving you with brighter and more youthful-looking skin.
- A highly concentrated yet lightweight serum will directly target any problem areas. You can use serums to combat everything from acne and redness to wrinkles and fine lines. If you don’t have any specific areas of concern, anti-aging serum is always useful to keep your skin looking young and fresh. Try our Advanced Facial Treatment Serum to maintain a gorgeous and youthful glow.
- Sheet masks are like mini fountains of youth for your face. They pack a serious punch when it comes to hydration. It’s a relaxing and impactful way to keep your skin nourished. Sheet masks should be left on for 15-20 minutes, so this is not a step you need to repeat twice a day or even daily. Make it a weekly ritual on a pamper night.
- The award for the thinnest and most delicate skin on the face goes to the eyes. That’s why your regular moisturizer just won’t cut it in this sensitive area. The eye cream has a higher concentration of goodies that will combat dark circles, wrinkles, and puffiness. Since the skin around the eyes is so delicate it requires a special technique for application. Use your pinkie finger to gently dab cream around the eye. Never rub or use a bigger finger.
- Your moisturizer will provide the last layer of hydration while sealing in your previous products. Never skip this step; it’s like applying the topcoat of a manicure. We recommend the triple threat Cold Plazma Whitening Cream. It hydrates, brightens, and fights signs of aging by improving the elasticity of the skin.
- UV rays are the biggest cause of premature aging. Block out the damage with some sunscreen, otherwise known as SPF. You can skip this step at night, but never forget it in the morning. UV rays are always outside, even when the weather isn’t bright and sunny.
Dr. Dream has everything you need to build your perfect Korean skincare routine. Shop our collection of high-quality Korean-made products to curate yours!